RE: solaris 9 ldap client with tls?

Hi all.

I think I'm on the right track here, but no major breakthroughs yet.
I'll document what I've done here, so others can see, and so I can get
more help :-)

I created a CA on the ldap server, and also a key. These are called
ca.cert, and ca.key. The ldap server also has 'ldap.cert' and
'ldap.key'. The difference, of course, is that the 'ca' files are the
root ca and cert, and the 'ldap' files are the *server* ca and cert.

>From what I understood through my reading and the help I've gotten here,
I needed to:

a) make sure my ldap server is listening on 636, because that's what Sun
will be looking to for a TLS connection.

b) import the certificate from the server using netscape, and copy the
resulting 'cert7.db' and 'key3.db' files into /var/ldap. Note that I
assumed this meant to import the 'ca.cert' file, so that the 'ldap.cert'
file could be verified against the signing authority as put forth in
'ca.cert'. Also, /var/ldap/*.db is all 'chmod 444'.

At this point, it looks as if Solaris is finally attempting to create a
TLS connection. Great. However, the connections are failing, and I have
no idea how to figure out what the real problem is here. All of the
certificates were created on the same box, and all of my Linux boxes are
happily going about their business (encrypted). The Sun box won't budge.
I don't even care about matching up the signing authority, quite
honestly. I really just want the encryption - not so much the
identification.

BTW, FWIW, 'verifying' the key using /usr/dt/bin/netscape succeeds. The
debug output from slapd follows:

TLS trace: SSL_accept:SSLv3 flush data
tls_read: want=5 error=Resource temporarily unavailable
TLS trace: SSL_accept:error in SSLv3 read client certificate A
TLS trace: SSL_accept:error in SSLv3 read client certificate A
daemon: select: listen=6 active_threads=1 tvp=idle
daemon: select: listen=7 active_threads=1 tvp=idle
daemon: activity on 1 descriptors
daemon: activity on: 11r
daemon: read activity on 11
connection_get(11)
connection_get(11): got connid=3
connection_read(11): checking for input on id=3
tls_read: want=5, got=5
  0000:  15 03 01 00 02                                     .....
tls_read: want=2, got=2
  0000:  02 2a                                              .*
TLS trace: SSL3 alert read:fatal:bad certificate
TLS trace: SSL_accept:failed in SSLv3 read client certificate A
TLS: can't accept.
TLS: error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad
certificate s3_pkt.c:1052
connection_read(11): TLS accept error error=-1 id=3, closing

Any help appreciated.
brian.