--enable-perl?

Up until now I've been playing with OpenLDAP using the Debian pkgs.
However, recently something seems to have gone wrong in Sid such that
the slapd package won't install.  Therefore, I'm planning on building
from source, partially because the package is broken, and partially
to gain the phonetic/soundex capability.

While looking at configure though, I noticed the
following options:

    --enable-perl         enable perl backend [no]
    --with-perl-module    module type static|dynamic [static]
    --enable-shell        enable shell backend [no]
    --with-shell-module   module type static|dynamic [static]

What are these for?  What do using them gain or cost me?

Thanks!
--

Seeya,
Paul