Re: solaris 9 ldap client with tls?

Greg,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've figured out a little bit so far,
so maybe you can help me fill in the blanks a bit.

I figured out that, although using 'ldapclient manual' requires you to
pass the proxyDN and password in clear on the command line, the cached
version ('ldapclient list' output) is encrypted. That's good news.

I've also figured out that if you use any value besides 'none' for
'authenticationMethod', you MUST provide a proxyDN and password.

At this point, I still have a couple of small stumbling blocks:

1. When I set up my pam.conf file as described in the Sun document (a
sample pam.conf file using ldap -->
http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-4077/6jd6blbfa?a=view#schemas-111)
I'm prompted for my password twice - even if I log in as root, and since
the tls connection is failing (my authenticationMethod is 'tls:simple'),
I can no longer log into the box. I'm re-jumpstarting now. Can I compare
notes with you on this (assuming you don't have the same issue)?  My
nsswitch file clearly states 'files ldap' for passwords, so I don't see
why root can't log in.

2. The sun documentation also states that in order to use TLS, your
directory MUST accept connections on port 636. This flies in the face of
everything else I've ever read anywhere about TLS/SSL and LDAP. 636 is
specifically for SSL, and is a deprecated technique in favor of using
TLS on 389, for various reasons - one being that you can then accept
requests from any client on a single port, using tls or not.

In spite of the documentation, I *am* still seeing traffic on port 389
on my ldap server. However, the TLS connection fails and gives me an
error saying so (I don't remember the error text, but it was 'error 91',
which was presented to me upon trying to log in IIRC).

3. All of the TLS docs I've seen relating to Solaris clients insist that
you have a cert7.db file and a key3.db file. I'm thoroughly confused by
this and am wondering if anyone has any insight as to how to
create/manage/administer these files - if they have to be created on
each individual client, where they go, do they expire... and why Sun
says that Netscape should have anything at all to do with my LDAP
client.

thanks for any response to any of this. :-/
brian.