LDAP Hangs on request

I'm not sure what the problem is, other than it simply hanging on a client machine. I have LDAP running smoothly on the master(for authentication), but when I enable it on the client side, and make the adjustment to /etc/nsswitch.conf to be "hosts files ldap", and if I try to "finger" a user(or login, etc), it just hangs there on client and master side.

Any help or point to a previous answered question dealing with this(that I have not yet found in the archives) would be appreciated.

Thanks