Problem with replication

Dear list,

I try to setup two LDAP servers (2.0.27, both on RedHat 7.3) as a
master/slave pair. I followed the instructions in the Administrator's Guide,
Chapter 10.

The files for the slave server were copied over and both servers are
functional so far (SSL works, queries to both servers work).

Arriving at 10.4.6., I noticed the slarpd proccess didn't write any
modifications to the replogfile (here "/var/log/slapd.replog"). I created the
file and made it owned and writable by user ldap. But the master slapd still
didn't write to this file, when I make changes in the directory tree:-(

What is wrong here? Hope you can help me!

Kind regards,
Andreas Rother

My configs:

# master config
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
pidfile         /var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd.args
TLSCertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/slapd.pem
TLSCertificateKeyFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/slapd.pem
TLSCACertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
defaultaccess none
access to attr=userPassword
        by dn="cn=root,o=firma,c=de" write
        by self write
        by * auth
access to *
        by dn="cn=root,o=firma,c=de" write
        by self write
        by * read

database        ldbm
suffix          "o=firma,c=de"
rootdn          "cn=root,o=firma,c=de"
rootpw          {SSHA}tc+LMs8wfSwKWNVFfYchUMvYV4ECvxCM
directory       /var/lib/ldap
index   objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber,memberUid   eq
index   cn,mail,surname,givenname                       eq,subinitial
replica
        host=timearz2.firma.de:389
        bindmethod=simple
        binddn="cn=root,o=firma,c=de"
        credentials=firma123

replogfile /var/log/slapd.replog
require LDAPv3

# slave config
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
pidfile         /var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd.args
TLSCertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/slapd.pem
TLSCertificateKeyFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/slapd.pem
TLSCACertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
defaultaccess none
access to attr=userPassword
        by dn="cn=root,o=firma,c=de" write
        by self write
        by * auth
access to *
        by dn="cn=root,o=firma,c=de" write
        by self write
        by * read
database        ldbm
suffix          "o=firma,c=de"
rootdn          "cn=root,o=firma,c=de"
updatedn        "cn=root,o=firma,c=de"
rootpw          firma123
directory       /var/lib/ldap
index   objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber,memberUid   eq
index   cn,mail,surname,givenname                       eq,subinitial
updateref       ldaps:///timehvd3.firma.de/