access to schema info from backend

I am starting to look at developing a custom back-end to run with OpenLDAP.
I gather that back-passwd is a good simple model to use as an example for
how this is done. I understand that the list archives are the best place to
get more information on this, and I have started searching through them, but
if anybody recalls a good thread on introductory back-end development, I
would appreciate a pointer to it.

A specific question: my backend will likely need access to schema
information, that is, whatever schema has been defined for the current
server via the slapd.conf file. Is there an api somewhere in the server code
that would give me access to the loaded schema data?

Thanks in advance.

david@logicalmonday.com

"The older I grow, the more I value pawns."
                                  - Paul Keres