how to get TLS working

According to my IT manager, our OpenLDAP server
supports TLS. I'm trying to get my LDAP client to work
with it. I call the function ldap_start_tls_s, and it
fails with error LDAP_CONNECT_ERROR (0x5b).

I traced the problem down to tls_info_cb in tls.c. It
gets a callback from SSL_connect in the SSL_CB_EXIT
state, with a "ret" of -1. The SSL error at that point
is:

  TLS trace: SSL_connect:error in SSLv3 read server
certificate B
  TLS trace: SSL_connect:error in SSLv3 read server
certificate B

Any idea what this means? Am I missing some type of
setup, or intermediary step?

Thanks,
Dave