tls connection, but '-d 127' shows password

Hi all.

I'm doing some final system setup and I'm having major issues with
ldapsearch segfaulting with '-ZZ' - but that's another email...

On the working LDAP server I have (which I can use '-ZZ' with - I guess
there's a cert issue), running 'ngrep -x -w 'secret' port 389' would
seem to indicate that my password was encrypted over the wire. However,
if I run slapd with '-d 127', the debugging output contains the password
in cleartext, even if ngrep shows nothing! Is this expected behavior?

brian