From: Andreas [mailto: andreas@conectiva.com.br]
To: blueyonder@excite.com
Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:33:40 -0300
Subject: Re: strange performance result

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 09:49:36AM -0400, james liang wrote:
> Many data entries are inserted into openldap in under 100ms. However, every
> 6 or so entries, an entry will take more than 1 to 2 second to insert. This
> happens even thought th e size of all the records are exact the same.

I would guess your log file size is too small. Tune at least these two parameters
in your DB_CONFIG file:
set_lg_max 104857600
set_lg_bsize 26214400

The lines above set the log file to be 100M max and a buffer size at 100M/4

> 2. the CPU and file IO are grossly under utilized during the data insertion
>
> The server is a dual CPU DELL box running Linux (redhat 8). The CPU
> utilization seems to peak at 20% and the IO utilization is just 15%. I tried
> to run multiple data insertion processes in parallel to no avail. The
> collective throught put stays flat and the CPU and IO utilization stays the
> same. There seems to be a common point of contention in the system that is
> severly limiting the degree of parallism. Another thing I notice is that the
> cpu and io utilization seems to degrade gradually as the list gets larger and
> larger.
You need to add cache. Check the following parameter in your DB_CONFIG file:
set_cachesize 0 209715200 0

The line above sets a DB cache of 200M. I don't know how much memory you have, but
check out my results with 1 million entries:
set_cachesize slapadd time (with indexes) Obs
1M 1937min Two scsi HDs
200M 478min 1 HD only
800M 194min 1 HD only

With 800M cache the CPU no longer sits idle here during the bulk load :)

> I tried tweaking dbnosync and cachesize but it didn't help. I am pretty sure
> the network(100 megabit ethernet) is not the issue. I tried to run the data
> insertion app directly in the machine that is running openldap and got the
> same result.

You should really use slapadd for this, and there should be no slapd process running.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com