about userCertificate

anybody has used userCertificate for certificated authentication?! and
please , tell me , how to use this attribute ???
I built certificated authentication server, but server only recognize
certificates signed by CA, that's to say, certificates are authenticated
when connect using EXTERNAL, even if user dn does not exist in LDAP server.
the userCertificate attribute seems to take no effect. anybody know how to
built a userCertificate controled authentication?

thank you

alexandre tsu