Two different structures on two platforms

The 'directory-services' group at my company has created a root DN of
o=company.com,o=cds, on a Netscape DS. It mainly contains white pages
info. I put up an OpenLDAP server using the root DN dc=company,dc=com for
the specific purpose of authentication and security data. Specifically I
have all the necessary entries to replace NIS and plan on some Samba
account maintenance.

My question is what difficulties would arise in trying to do referrals
between the two systems for the same user?

What other problems or pitfalls does anyone see with this setup?

Thank you,
cameron