Re: Newbie - OpenLDAP won't start

I'm writing this to both conclude the question I had left earlier (thank
you to those who cared enough to send answers), and to ask another related
question.

My original question included this text:
===
Every how-to and readme I read says that I don't need to create the
database first - just run it. But it doesn't run - here is the info from
my running it /usr/libexec/slapd -d 4
-+-+-+--d 4 output-+-+-+-
daemon_init: <null>
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.1.25: (December 19,
2002) bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
bdb_db_open: dc=corvu
bdb(dc=corvu): unable to join the environment
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (11)
bdb(dc=corvu): txn_checkpoint interface requires an environment
configured for the transaction subsystem bdb_db_destroy: txn_checkpoint
failed: Invalid argument (22)
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
-+-+-+-end-+-+-+-
===

This subsequently added a suggestion to add this
 [-h "ldap:/// ldaps:///"]
to the command line, which resulted in "almost" the same output.

First, any suggestion that something was simply "hosed" can be thrown out
by the fact that "make test" worked, so BDB and OpenLDAP have already been
proven to work together on this system.

So, I went back to the source included tests and checked them again.  I
found some things that required changing in my slapd.conf file, but they
didn't seem to make a difference.  The only difference I am so far able to
really verify is that slapd won't run unless it is run by a user other
than "root".  So, I am now able to get my slapd running - I still have
some work to do on figuring out which "schema" files I need.

Is there some restriction about "root" running OpenLDAP?  Perhaps it's
specific to Berkeley DB?  Finally - what do others do.  Do most folks
create an "ldap" user to deal with running the slapd program?

Thank you,
Gary Allen Vollink
Information Technology Manager
CorVu North America, Inc.