Authentication problem

Hello, "URGENT"

I'm trying to use ldap for my user authentication on my Red Hat 9 box.

According to manuals, I've set things up neatly and I can search any info i want out of the ldap database (using #ldapsearch or gui or from any interface!).

But, when user is authenticated, it is not successful and the error is

Jun 12 19:53:15 linpc login: LOGIN ON pts/0 BY william FROM 192.168.214.222
Jun 12 19:57:18 linpc xinetd[1654]: START: telnet pid=9915 from=192.168.214.222
Jun 12 19:57:32 linpc login: pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP server

Why is that impossible when direct query looks fine?

For your better analysis,

/etc/pam.d/system-auth is as below:

auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so
account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

#account [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore service_err=ignore syst
em_err=ignore] /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so
"/etc/pam.d/system-auth" 22L, 1070C                           9,1           All

nsswitch.conf is as below:

passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap
:::
:::
:::

I found the similar problem in this mailing list n 2001 with Red Hat 6.2 but he just removed spaces after values in ldap.conf and he got it working.

ldap.conf bears standard recommended settings and therefore, i don't put it here..

Any pointer? Folks?

regards,

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private and confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and/or delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

Unless otherwise stated, any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Myanmar World Distribution (MWD) and/or the local and foreign Offices of MWD.

MWD accepts no responsibility for any mis-transmission of, or interference with, this communication.

The content of this e-mail (including any attachments) as received may not be the same as sent. If you consider that the content is material to the formation or performance of a contract or you are otherwise relying upon its accuracy, you should consider requesting a copy be sent by facsimile or normal mail.

Myanmar World Distribution Co., Ltd.

Head Office
No. 30, Phone Gyi St., Lanmadaw Tsp.,
Yangon, Myanmar