Re: correct structural object class for ou=People

Thank you for the response. Sorry for not providing enough information. Here's the complete entry I'm trying to add. The strange thing is that my entry already had a structural objectClass. I can provide the schema that supports the non-standard attributes as well (though I'm pretty sure its completely irrelevant to the problem at hand).

	thanks again for your time,

			~c

dn: uid=oboe, ou=People, dc=my,dc=domain displayName: First Last givenName: first mailAliasSR: flast mailAliasSR: first.last objectClass: person objectClass: organizationalPerson objectClass: inetOrgPerson objectClass: top objectClass: personSR objectClass: extensibleObject objectClass: posixAccount objectClass: shadowAccount shadowLastChange: 11551 userPassword:: userPassword:: mailSR: oboe@my.domain uid: oboe uidNumber: 1007 cn: first last uinSR: 12345678 groupSR: faculty loginShell: /usr/local/bin/minshell gidNumber: 100 shadowMax: 99999 gecos: first last,,212-555-1212, homeDirectory: /home/oboe sn: Last shadowWarning: 7

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

charlie derr writes:

ou=People went in just fine (as follows):

dn: ou=People, dc=my,dc=domain
ou: People
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalUnit

So the contents of that entry is not relevant.

However when i try to add an entry below this one i still get the
error.

Which object class you should use for the person entries depends on what
you put in them and what they are used for.  So it would be better to
show us one of these entries if you want good suggestions.

That said, since you call them people I guess you want the objectclass
'person' or a subclass of it.  Maybe organizationalPerson or
residentialPerson (see etc/openldap/schema/core.schema), inetOrgPerson
(inetorgperson.schema) or pilotPerson (cosine.schema).

Or if you have user account info under ou=People, despite the name,
you'll probably want 'account' (cosine.schema).  And maybe add the
auxiliary class 'posixAccount' (nis.schema).

--
If you haven't got an agenda, chances are good that you're
not doing much useful.   --Stephen Frost