slurpd high system load

I have a master server and two slaves, running openldap-2.0.27 on Linux. On startup, the system load is negligible. After making a modification to any LDAP entry, slurpd grabs the remaining available CPU time and never relinquishes it. It does not grab "91%" and hold that number, but it maintains a 0.0% idle CPU. This is a recent observation for me and one I don't find documented anywhere or in a Google search for 'slurpd openldap "system load"'. I'm open for comments.

--

John Beamon
Systems Administrator