RE: slapadd, 1 million entries, some numbers

slapd should not be running at all when you're using slapadd.
D state is a device wait - most likely disk in this case.

> DB_CONFIG:
> set_flags       DB_TXN_NOSYNC
> #set_lg_dir     /storage/ldap
> set_lg_max      104857600
>
> (I will repeat the test with the log dir set to another disk)

> Meanwhile (again :), does anybody see any obvious mistake
> besides the ones I
> already mentioned (ide disk, log in the same disk as the
> database)?

Yes.

> Is cache relevant for bulk loading data?

Read this:

IDE is not a problem if you have multiple drives dedicated to the purpose. If
your drives are being used by anything else on the system, then you really
lose, and SCSI's advantages come into play.

  -- Howard Chu