Re: matching leading space in uid lookup

Duncan Brannen wrote:

uid equality is a caseignoreMatch which is space insensitive, I guess that includes
leading spaces? Is this then, correct ldap behavior for this case?

I think the behaviour is correct.

See also recent thread on this list:
http://www.openldap.org/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/openldap-software?query=leading+space&Search=Search&errors=0&maxfiles=50&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=filelist&.cgifields=case&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=restricttofiles

To 'fix' samba, you'd have to fail logins for any username starting with a space.

Samba could strip white-spaces from user name before constructing the LDAP filter. Best solution would be the Windows screen-saver ignores the first key stroke though.

I can't see why people would want to start a username with a space but....

Whether a leading space should be significant to Windows/Samba is another question probably best discussed with the Samba folks.

Ciao, Michael.