RE: Stress Testing

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Edward Tsai

Hello all,

I've been looking around on the mailing list for information on LDAP stress
testing and haven't been able to find much detail on what programs people
have used to test LDAP entry change and queries.

My intention is to show that LDAP (then LDAP2DNS -> DNS) are systems that can
also handle large amounts of dynamic updates (think thousands of PDAs
updating a single server every 8 seconds with its new location).

Does anyone have any stress testing packages / scripts or pointers they'd be
willing to share? :)
<<<
Be prepared to be disappointed. LDAP servers tend to be optimized for read
operations. Simple updates are OK, but you have to know what "simple" means.
If you modify an attribute that has a lot of indexes defined for it, then
updating it gets very expensive, and very slow. If you modify an attribute
that has no indexes defined, the update is fast enough, but unindexed
attributes are expensive to search for. If the attribute only has presence or
equality indexing it should be OK.

  -- Howard Chu