Re: slapindex benchmarks .

--On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 11:41 AM -0700 Tony Richardson <Tony.Richardson@radiology.ucsf.edu> wrote:

Hello list,

I'm new to ldap and have just successfully installed and populated the
service using the core, cosine, and inetorgperson schemae.  Mostly the
inetorgperson fields are declared (cn, postaladdress, telephone, email,
ou).  Apprx 25,000 records exist.  My concern is with slapindex. I've
tried the following conf.  lines
   index         objectclass     eq
   index         cn,sn,mail      pres,eq,approx,sub

Slapindex didn't complete this index on a G4 800Mhz/256MB PowerPC with 72
hours of dedicated time (avg 70% of CPU according to top).  I
extrapolate* from a baseline, reached by doing a similar index on a DIT
of only 8 records, that the index should take appx 5 hrs to build.
Without indexing, a single query takes about 35 sec. - 1 host, 1 client.
I conclude indexing to be critical if the directory will ever be a
production service.

Please advise? Is this a design issue ?  Should 25K records be
distributed rather than on a single host?  Or is something amiss with my
slapd build or hardware?

As we speak - I've changed to conf such that it only uses the
'objectclass index'.  Slapindex shows 17:28:16 run time in top.

*  pseudo science - on a 300 MHz linux laptop
bnch=`time slapindex ;`
echo "scale=2 ; $bnch /  8 * 25000 / 3600 " | bc

Tony,

This is most likely due to your setup.  You will probably want to read:

<http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=893 >
<http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/Incoming?id=2499;expression=quanah;p
age=2;statetype=-1>
<http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200305/msg00300.html>