Re: question about openldap as a server

On the linux machine just get openldap to access connections from anywhere on the network. On the solaris machine use ldapclient to configure the ldap nss and pam (the authentication stuff) that is shipped with solaris. The config file under solaris is /var/ldap/ldap_client_file but should only be edited via ldapclient command. You would use a command line like the following to configure your solaris machine to use your linux box.

ldapclient manual -a defaultserverlist=fully.qualified.hostname.of.linux.box -a defaultSearchBase='dc=domain,dc=com' -a proxyDN=<the DN of the proxy user> -a proxyPassword=<the password for the proxy user> -a authenticationMethod=tls:simple

The proxyDN and proxyPassword aren't used as far as I can tell but they need to be there for everything to work correctly. Can't explain why.

man ldapclient for more info on configuring the ldap pam and nss stuff. The above commandline is Solaris 9 centric, I don't know how it compares to anything before S9.

KS

Ang, Melissa wrote:

hello all! I've currently setup openldap in my linux machine. the thing is I want other boxes such as solaris, hp, aix ,etc to use the entries (i.e. username and password) in my openldap in the linux machine. is it possible to set this up if these machines don't have openldap installed. I've been reading about openldap and so far it seems to me that it assumes that the server and client is on the same machine. ie. using openldap and ldapclient for solaris. what i would like to do is to just  connect to the openldap in linux. is there a configuration file for this? I couldn't seem to find it on the web? help!! thanks!

melissa