Re: Implementing "ldappasswd" in perl

In a message dated: Tue, 13 May 2003 21:03:40 +0200
tsg said:

>Perhaps I ask a wrong question.

No, you asked the correct question, and I understood you perfectly :)

>When I use ldappasswd, I got a line in LDAP directory with some symbols and
>mark  {SMD5}.

Yes, I understand that.  {SMD5} denotes the cryptographic algorithm
used to create the password hash (all the other symbols next to this
mark).  My question was aimed more at the general audience of the
list to understand what the difference between an SMD5 and an MD5
hash were.

>So what algorithms was used to get tis passwd in ldappasswd.

That's the same question I'm asking.  It's probably something similar
to the MD5 algorithm (for which there is a perl module already written).
However, since OpenLDAP seems to support both SMD5 *and* MD5, that
implies to me that there is a difference.  If that is the case, then
telling you to use the MD5 algorithm would be wrong, and I'd rather
not provide you with incorrect information.

>I am sorry I am not a cryptography guru.

No apologies.  I'm not either :)
--

Seeya,
Paul