ldap traffic encryption with kerberos

When I use the ldapsearch tool, along with Kerberos
authentication with the server, I notice that the
traffic is encrypted.

I recently wrote my own tool that uses the same
openldap libraries. Following the Samba 3.0 "net"
example, I bypassed SASL and just use GSSAPI directly.
I am able to perform Kerberos authentication with the
server just fine, but for some reason my traffic is
*not* encrypted.

Does anyone have any idea why? Is there an option I
need to set for my LDAP connection, or this purely a
function of the lower level authentication/encryption
library (in this case Heimdal Kerberos)? If the
latter, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave