Re: repeated attribute search...

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 13:36 US/Pacific, Raj Balasubramanian wrote:

Hello All
I was wondering if you saw any major performance degrade when a search is performed for an attribute thats referenced multiple times within a search string. For example: (myid=0909)(CN=raj)(myid=0909)(uid=189)(myid=0909)

I had some buggy code that generated filters like this for a while and I noticed no significant performance impact.

I've also made extensive use of large filters (where the filter text is say, 40k or the like) and I noticed no significant performance impacts from that easier. There are some cases where pathologically large filters are not considered valid. I haven't tracked this down as it isn't something I generally need; there are much better ways to get that sort of data out of a directory server. I suspect that is an issue with protocol limits to the filter size.

It is important to note that if it searches for (myid=0909) multiple times separately, especially in separate connections, performance will suffer simply because of the overhead of starting Another search or Another connection. Even more so if these are separate SSL/TLS connections.

Matthew Backes
lucca@csun.edu