Questions about the history of openldap and sleepy cat

Title: Message

I have a few questions regarding Openldap and sleepycat hopefully the group can provide some information.

We are using the win32 Openldap 1.0.19 that was compiled and packaged by FiveSight. Its been working well but now we need to become more familier with whats going on in the backend. I believe this binary distribution includes sleepy cat - from what I can gather from their 'build it yourself' instructions.

And to provide a bit of context for the following questions, we know that Sleepy cat comes in four flavors: 1) data store, 2) concurrent data store, 3) transactional data store and 4) high availability.

In our openldap 1.0.19 we are using "database ldbm". When we use the "ldbm" directive in this instance is its backend the simplest sleepy cat flavor: data store?

It looks like that prior to openldap version 2 that the ldbm directive supported the lowest common denominator of various dbm implementations (sleepy cat data store, gdbm, ndbm, etc.). Is that correct?

Beginning with openldap version 2 support the bdb directive was added. The bdb directive then indicates the backend is sleepy cat and it looks like that may be the second sleepy cat flavor: concurrent data store. Is that correct?

Were we to compile sleepy cat and openldap ourselves, would that give us access to all flavors of sleepy cat or does openldap only support certain flavors of sleepy cat like data store and concurrent data store?

Any information and/or history regarding these items would be much appreciated.

Tom Smallwood
Senior Software Engineer
tsmallwood@merc-int.com
720-564-6550