password hash

 I am using different ldap software. It hashes coming clear text passwords
from client. I only send clear passwords from my applications.
 Now I am trying to carry my data to openldap, but I have a problem. I added
password-hash {SSHA} line to the slapd.conf file.
 When I try to change users passwords from different applications or codes
with clear password, openldap doesn't hash my clear password.
 Should I use a specific option for doing this while compiling? Or anything
that I miss?
 Thanks.