difference between ldaps and startTLS

Could you explain me the difference between ldaps and TLS over 389, I never really understand it.
An other problem is if I run slapd only with ldaps I'm sure that nobody can access to the slapd server without SSL.
It's not the case if I use the extended operation startTLS.

thank you to help me
Lise Didillon