OpenLDAP21 starts with no password but not with a password

Hi All,

If I leave slapd.conf not having a rootpw set, then slapd starts up fine but then I cannot add anything, since it asks for a password.

If I put a password in plaintext or encrypted, it immediately exits.

Turning on the -d-1 option gives this reason:-

line 64 (rootpw ***)
/usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 64: rootpw can only be set when rootdn is under suffix

Any ideas?

slapd.conf settings:-

include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema pidfile /var/run/slapd.pid argsfile /var/run/slapd.args access to * by * read

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=hinwick,dc=demon,dc=co,dc=uk,o=Hinwick Hall,c=GB"
rootdn          "cn=root, dc=hinwick,dc=demon,dc=co,dc=uk"
#rootpw          SECRET

directory       /var/db/openldap-data
index   objectClass     eq

Thats all that is in slapd.conf.

So I hash'ed the rootpw out and slapd started but was unable to use:-

ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" -W -f eg.ldif

to test becasue it asked for a password and whatever I ended was wrong/invalid.

M. -- Mark Worsdall