Ldap.conf not working

This is on RedHat Linux 7.3 trying to querying a Windows 2000 Active
Directory LDAP server.

I have a problem getting ldap.conf to work. When I do an ldapsearch from
the command line with all the parameters, it works like this:

 ldapsearch -h <x.x.x.x> -b "cn=users,dc=<domain>" -D
"cn=<username>,cn=users,dc=<domain>" -W "(cn=test*)" mail

Using the above, it prompts for the password and I get the email
addresses for two test users, no problem. However, when I setup the
ldap.conf file to use this host, base, binddn and bindpw - it does not
work, like this:

 # My ldap.conf file
 host <x.x.x.x>
 base dc=<domain>
 binddn cn=<username>,cn=users,dc=<domain>
 bindpw <password>
 ssl no (this is there by default)
 pam_password md5 (this is there by default)

Then I run the command again trying to pull these parameters from
ldap.conf:

 ldapsearch "(cn=test*)" mail

The result is:

  # extended LDIF
  #
  # LDAPv3
  # base <> with scope sub
  # filter: (cn=duane*)
  # requesting: mail
  #

  # search result
  search: 2
  result: 0 Success

  # numResponses: 1

The base doesn't seem to show up :(  Any anyone shed some light on this
for me?

--
Robert