Stupid questions 2

Thanks a lot for help provided with binding LDAP servers. Now I have a new very stupid
(but very useful for me :) ) question.
How can someone do some search on a LDAP server without knowing anything about the structure of the DIT? I mean, when you call function as ldap_search() you have to specify the base DN for the search to begin from. So what happens if you don't know the starting point?
I suppose that should be some default starting point but I really don't know how to use it.
Could anyone give me some hints, please?