Re: Checkpointing and BDB

At 08:31 AM 4/25/2003, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>So I have a basic question as to the usefulness of checkpointing.  The stated purpose of checkpointing is to make sure that received writes are flushed to disk.  How does this help you if slapd crashes between writes?

Checkpointing reduces the amount of work necessary to recover
database changes from the transaction log.  That is, instead of
having to replay the whole transaction log, db_recover only
has to replay the log since the last checkpoint.  However, it
should be clear that it is transaction logging, not check pointing,
that is the key to data security.

Kurt