RE: 2.1.17 performance issues

Andreas is correct. back-bdb maintains its own entry cache separately from
whatever caching the BDB library itself uses. In very early OpenLDAP 2.1 code
there was no entry cache for back-bdb because we believed that the BDB
library's caching would be "good enough" but subsequent benchmarking showed
that an entry cache was needed.

>> >And this is all running with "cachesize 10000000," although we don't have
>> >enough entries to fill that large a cache anyway, on top of the default
>> >bdb install.

There's no harm in setting the size larger than your actual number of
entries, but no benefit either.

 -- Howard Chu