RE: BDB recovery after power outage

Today at 5:12am, Howard Chu wrote:

> OK, let me give you some information on who I am and where I'm coming from. I
> am a member of the OpenLDAP core team, my company Symas pays for my time

<snip>

Thank you.  I didn't realize you were the driving force behind all those
pieces.

> An aside - the people complaining on this list saying "OpenLDAP isn't meant
> to perform" really piss me off. I and the other active developers have spent
> countless hours working on the performance and stability of this thing, and
> our efforts have paid off in substantial gains.

I have never said that, nor will I.  I happen to disagree with it
myself.  I have said, and I will continue to until it becomes false,
that IN MY ENVIRONMENT and WITH MY UNDERSTANDING OF BDB the LDBM backend
using BDB outperforms the BDB backend.  I'll be a very happy person the
day I figure out where I've made my mistakes.

> > I can't pay for anything.
>
> Well then you should be glad to have what you have already. You think the
> world owes it to you to give you powerful software for free?

That's just un-called for.  If I take your logic to the ultimate, those
that can't afford food (and really need true charity) should be happy to
eat moldy bread.  I think not.  I have already stated, I will put
something together.  I will.  I'm not qualified, but if it stirs just
one person who is qualified to spend some time fixing the mistakes I'll
make in my documentation, then that's an improvement over where we are
today.

> This is not play for me; this is my livelihood. It takes a lot of time and

I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply it was play for you.

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===