Re: CAN LOGIN WORK WITHOUT PAM

Frank Swasey wrote:
Today at 11:05am, Nitin k. wrote:

My question is what's the difference in getent and login as far as LDAP is concerned, if any AND Is PAM support imperative for the Login prog. to work with LDAP ?

I'm not positive, but I'll hazard a guess that the difference is the getent is using an anonymous bind and the login isn't (nor can it really).

I think PAM support is imperative ... I do not see any other mechanism of getting to LDAP as what you use is saslauthd for ldap and this in turn uses pam.... perhaps I am wrong.. give me an idea of what exactly you are trying to achieve. Are you trying to authenticate users on your box with LDAP or something else ?.
Authentication failure with LDAP in my case was happening because LDAP was storing crypt() passwords and I was sending out plain text when I resolved this problem from my clients it worked fine.