RE: BDB recovery after power outage

Today at 4:39pm, Igor Brezac wrote:

> Lets step back for a moment.  OpenLDAP, like many other open source
> projects, is headed by folks who donate their time and knowledge for the
> development of the project.  It is only appropriate to be thankful or,
> better yet, contribute and help with their efforts.  Usually, features
> will be dictated by the developers' needs.  That includes documentation
> and it is up to the community to fill this gap.  Unfortunately the current
> written documentation may not be sufficient for some, but bits and pieces
> are all there in written english and source code form.

Yes, you are correct.  The problem I am having is this:

1) People are claiming on this list that the BDB Backend is great.
2) People are begging for information on how to get BDB Backend to work
    - the response has normally (I hesitate to say always) been:
		READ THE BDB DOCUMENTATION

Now, why is it that those people who are familiar with BDB and claim the
BDB Backend is so wonderful cannot take the little amount of time to put
together the documentation?  Are they lazy?  I doubt it.  I'm betting
they feel that it is so obvious (because they took whatever amount of
time it took them to read and re-read and digest the BDB documentation
-- or they've been using it for years) that anyone can figure it out.
The problem is that some of us don't seem to be able to gather
information from the BDB Documentation (because our brains just don't
seem to work in the same fashion as the people who put it together) and
others of us have never used BDB as a stand alone application (which is
really what the BDB Backend is doing) before and are trying to figure
this out on top of a heavy work load.

Either way, if someone would take the time to gather the information
into a place (like a one spot explanation of the options available in
the DB_CONFIG file), it would be a major help to us.

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===