RE: BDB recovery after power outage

Today at 12:25pm, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> > 1) What is required to set up the BDB Environment optimally for OpenLDAP
> > usage?
>
> This differs for every setup.  What is best for our DB may not be best for
> yours.
> You need to look at the amount of RAM you have available for the
> application, the size of the DB, etc.
> I've posted Stanford's BDB DB_CONFIG file to this list several times, with
> an explanation of the parameters as well.

Yes, you have.  And I thank you for your contribution.  You have also
pointed out that the LOG files should be on a separate filesystem (and
preferably spindle) than the main database.

Have you ever done a search at the SleepyCat site to see what all the
options available to go into the DB_CONFIG file are?  Did you actually
find a page that listed them?  I never have been able to -- just a
reference that says that "Most of the configuration information that can
be specified to "DB_ENV" methods can also be specified using a
configuration file."  Sorry, that's not the answer I needed.

I also consider it a problem that there is no manual page for DB_CONFIG
with the SleepyCat DB install.

> > 2) What is the daily process(es) that should be done to maintain the
> > health of a BDB?
>
> Ours maintains its health with no intervention from us.

Lucky you!  I have had to be very careful to run db_archive and get rid
of the extraneous LOG files frequently on my test machine or I run out
of disk space and wind up with a pile of garbage.  I fully expect that
were anyone to leave a BDB Backend alone long enough that the LOG files
would eat up all available space.

If I remember your environment correctly, you (like me) reload your
databases every night, thus you probably don't have enough write
activity to necessitate maintenance.

> > 3) OMG the power went out!  To recover the BDB, I do?
>
> I'd hope you made backups, either with BDB's tools to do so, or by
> exporting your DB to LDIF... same as with any application's data.

Well, what are the BDB tools?  Do you mean db_dump and db_load?  Can I
run db_dump with slapd running?

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===