RE: BDB recovery after power outage

Today at 6:42am, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> To say that BDB is not a viable backend because one has not taken the time
> to investigate how to use the software is flawed.

I agree with your point.  I have not taken the time necessary to fully
understand BDB.  However, I have experimented with BDB backend.  I have
used it in test instances and have found it to not perform as well as
LDBM/Berkeley.  I do not have the time to read the programmer's
reference that Sleepycat has made available and figure out what a BDB
database admin needs to know.  Sleepycat has (to my knowledge) not made
a BDB DBA's guide available.  You are required to read the Programmer's
API reference and infer what a DBA needs to do.  I am not a DBA, I am a
systems administrator/programmer.  I don't have any interest in becoming
a DBA and all my DBA's have no interest in anything other than Oracle.

Therefore, I think the correct point is that unless you are a skilled
BDB DBA, you should not be using the BDB backend until someone who is a
skilled BDB DBA puts together a guide to what you need to know to use
BDB with OpenLDAP.

Now, Howard stated that the BDB backend originally did the db_recover
for you.  I haven't seen any mention that that had changed (prior to
Howard's announcement here over the weekend) and as I stated, there's no
mention of db_recover in any of the OpenLDAP documentation (nor based on
a find . -type f | xargs grep db_recover) in any of the OpenLDAP source
files -- so there isn't even a programmatical comment that it had been
removed.

My real concern here is that I see the BDB backend as being pushed but
there seems to be a refusal to even deal with the issue of putting
together a quick start document about what the beginning BDB backend DBA
needs to know.  Yes, I do feel that is something that needs to come out
of the OpenLDAP documentation because it is OpenLDAP that is using BDB.
Would it be nice if Sleepycat provided that documentation -- hell yes.
Are they going to?  I'm not going to hold my breath.

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===