Re: BDB recovery after power outage

--On Monday, April 21, 2003 8:31 AM +0200 Tony Earnshaw <tonni@billy.demon.nl> wrote:

man, 21.04.2003 kl. 03.28 skrev Quanah Gibson-Mount:

On the backups issue, have you thought of doing a nightly slapcat?  That
is  what we do... The BDB size of our DB is 1.9GB, the slapcat created
LDIF  file, when compressed with gzip, is 50MB.  Quite the savings, and
it gives  us a restore point.

Hallo Quanah,

I've seen for myself that it's possible to do fine-grained database
restorals simply using the BDB 4 log files and nothing else.

Is there any special reason that you're doing an slapcat for restore
points, or is this simply a belt-and-braces approach?

Tony,

It is largely a result of running Netscape directory server, which has been very unstable and unreliable for us. As a part of our disaster recovery requirements, we keep 5 days of our LDIF dumps stored off an AFS area that is backed up nightly. So far, we have never needed to make use of the nightly OpenLDAP LDIF dumps.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Senior Systems Administrator ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html