RE: BDB recovery after power outage

On Apr 20 at 6:45pm, Howard Chu wrote:

> In early versions of OpenLDAP 2.1 we had slapd automatically perform recovery
> whenever it started. However, this caused problems if you accidentally
> started a second slapd while one was running - the second recovery would wipe
> out the environment that the first one was using. Since all of the locking
> information is contained inside the BDB environment, there was no locking
> mechanism to prevent this occurrence. So now we no longer do automatic
> recovery; it's up to you to run db_recover by hand or add it to your server
> startup scripts as needed.

Howard,
  The fact that the openldap administrator is required to run db_recover
manually after a crash of the BDB backend is NOT documented in the
openldap manual pages nor the "OpenLDAP 2.1 Administrator's Guide".  In
fact, "db_recover" is NEVER even used in the man pages or the
Administrator's Guide.

  Thank you, I now have a clearer understanding of why I think the BDB
Backend is, in my personal opinion, not ready for real use.

  Constructive comments on why such a critical fact would be entirely
missing from the openldap documentation are welcomed.  Flames and
insults will be silently ignored.

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===