Re: Connection Pooling

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Tuesday, April 15, 2003 8:24 AM -0400 Tod Thomas <tthomas@chubb.com> wrote:

From an application's perspective is it really necessary?  Because LDAP
connections are so transient, unless there are a fairly large amount of
requests being served I would suspect that LDAP's read optimizations
would make this unnecessary.  Comments?

Tod,

I disagree.

I disagree, too. I've seen dramatic performance increases with pooling. The reads are very fast, but the fundamental cost of each connection is its establishment.

Technically, pooling is not necessary. I don't use it here:

http://www.mentata.com/ldaphttp/examples/bigten/retrieve_umich.htm

And although I do here:

http://www.mentata.com/ds/retrieve/congress/vote/VC107S7

you wouldn't notice with this single transaction because this call instead submits 101 LDAP queries serially in a thread. You are more prone to notice the performance difference when you have more than one user hitting the server simultaneously (the word server implying this might happen). Then pooling is great, IMHO.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com