Re: how to determine need to upgrade

Tony,

Epkg is totally unrelated to rpms...  What we do is the following,
install things in /usr/local/encap/ for systemwide installs (We mount
/usr/local from our file server to our clients); and we do local installs
into /opt/local/encap for things that should run without relying on NFS,
such as openldap, samba, openssl, etc.....

A quick ls on one of my encap trees looks like:
% ls /opt/local/encap/
db-4.1.25           heimdal-0.5.1       openssl-0.9.6i      sudo-1.6.6
db_libsonly-4.1.25  localstuff-1.0      sasl-2.1.12         zlib-1.1.4
epkg-2.2.6          openssl-0.9.6e      sendmail-8.12.8
epkg.log            openssl-0.9.6g      sendmail-8.12.9

So as you can see I have 2 versions of sendmail, 3 of openssl, etc. That
is on one of my client machines, it would be sort of boring to copy one
from my filserver since I have even several subversion of things like
netscape 4,6 and 7 installed at the same time on the same system.  The
epkg software simply makes links from ~/package-version/{bin, lib,
include, etc} into /opt/local or /usr/local  so after you run epkg -i
everything gets symbolically linked to the bin, lib, include, etc
directories under /usr/local or /opt/local.... Cool huh?.... Well their
website explains a lot better than I do.

I even have epkged versions of gcc.... :P

BTW, we use epkg on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X (with a small problem while
running make install, but fixable).  And you can compile it for your
flavor of Unix....

Diego.