RFC 1779 / DN with leading spaces

Hello!

I have a problem understanding the storage of significant whitespace and
other pathological characters in DN and the retrieval.

My first guess was RFC 1485 which is obsoleted by RFC 1779 (thank You, Tony)
with the possibility of hexadecimal (sedecimal) coding.

However, it does not work:

ldapsearch -b 'cn=#454D4F,dc=addressbook,o=mehome'
ldapsearch -b 'cn=EMO,dc=addressbook,o=mehome'

are not equivalent (what I expected). They refer to completely different
nodes.

This way I hoped to store something like " EMO" with a leading space like
this:

	dn: cn=#20454D4F,dc=addressbook,o=mehome

and to be able to retrieve pathological and "normal" objects with the same
DN attribute encoding.

Ok, if and when RFC 1779 defines no equivalency between the alternate
encodings (in fact, there is not even an example of the hex-variant):

	What is the RFC to refer to for portable(!) encoding of
distinguished names? Of course, one can escape characters in whatever
fashion he/she likes, but application level is not what I search for.

Of course the question is: What RFC do ldapsearch and ldapadd adhere to?

Thank You for expertise!

- Marian