Header files in 2.1.16

Dear mailing list,

I've just installed openldap-2.1.16, I recompiled with rpm -bb, got the following rpms:

openldap-2.1.16-1.i686.rpm
openldap-clients-2.1.16-1.i686.rpm
openldap-devel-2.1.16-1.i686.rpm
openldap-servers-2.1.16-1.i686.rpm

After that, I tried to recompile cyrus-sasl with -lldap, it gave me an erro, an undefined reference to 'ldap_destroy_cache', and indeed, I didn't find any ldap_destroy_cache in ldap.h
The librairy is installed, I got ldap.h and even the manpages of the librairy functions, but they don't seem to be in ldap.h (none of them, fro as far I can see).

How, why, when, and what to do about it?

Be well,
Jeroen.