Re: Change of structural objectclasses illegal?

--On Wednesday, April 09, 2003 6:11 PM +0200 Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:

asr@ufl.edu writes:
I understand that it is illegal for a given object to have two STRUCTURAL
classes that are not part of the same chain; but I'm not trying to do
that, I'm trying to replace one chain with another chain (and
incidentally replace almost all of the attributes too) which by my
reading should be legal.

Nope.

rfc2251, 3.2.1. Attributes of Entries:

   Servers may restrict the modifications of this attribute to prevent
   the basic structural class of the entry from being changed (e.g. one
   cannot change a person into a country).

I haven't tried, but I expect you must either delete the entry and
reinsert it with its new structural object class, or keep object class
'person' and let 'reserved' be an auxiliary class or a subclass of
'person'.

That is exactly what I had to do when changing my structural objectClass layout. I simply did a dump of the DB, wrote a perl script to strip out all references to the structural Objectclass, and then reloaded it.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Senior Systems Administrator ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html