compiling source (2.1.16) on Redhat 9

Hi all.

I have (well, had) a newly installed Redhat 9 box, and I'm trying to compile OpenLDAP 2.1.16 on it, and I'm getting an error during ./configure:

"configure: error: Could not locate TLS/SSL package"

At first, it was because for one reason or another, it was actually not able to see Redhat's "ssl.h", in spite of my feeding it the path manually, a la:

"env CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include -I/usr/include/openssl" ./configure.... <bunch of options>...."

So no matter what I did, the ./configure process constantly said:

"checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
    checking for ssl.h... no"

Too bad, I lose.  So I installed openssl myself from scratch, and it found 'openssl/ssl.h'.  Fine.  But then it gave me this crap:

"checking for SSLeay_add_ssl_algorithms in -lssl... no
    checking for SSL_library_init in -lssl... no
    checking for ssl3_accept in -llssl... no
    configure: error: Could not locate TLS/SSL package"

My config.log file is full of stuff, but unfortunately I'm not a C programmer and so I have to admit I don't have a *thorough* understanding of what's happening here, but it says, among other things:

"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lssl"

What exactly is that?  libssl?  What physical file on my disk is it not finding?
Any input appreciated.

brian.