bind by a user

Title: bind by a user

I have setup openldap and it working fine for binding as root or anonymously.  However, if I try to bind as a user ie.
ldapsearch -x -D "uid=username,dc=com" -w "password" .....

It does not bind. ("invalid credentials")  I have tried to remove to comment in front on allow bind_v2 but then slapd does not start.  I am sure to be using the correct username and password since this is an exact duplicate of an Oracle Internet Directory LDAP.

my access allows everything to self, write to user, read to anonymous, etc...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.