Storing X509 certificates in LDAP?

I am working on a CA project, and I understand that we
simply encode an X509 cert if we just wanna send it to
a relational database, such as MySQL, right?

But is it more often that X509 certificates are stored
in LDAP server?

I have built the latest OpenLDAP on my Sun work
station running Solaris.  I am wondering how we should
store an X509 user certificate in an LDAP server.

Any hint and sample code please?  Thanks a lot.

Mark