openldap-2.1.16 on redhat 8 issues

I'm trying to get openldap-2.1.16 on my redhat8 machine. Its not working well.

I got it built... but it kept giving me GSSAPI errors for an sasl bind when I tried to invoke ldappasswd or most other commands. This was kind of troubling, because I had the slapd.conf specifying TLS -- not sasl.

So, whatever, I uninstalled a bunch of cyrus sasl packages that were on the machine. Essentially all that I could without breaking lots of dependancies. Now i get :
# SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
# Please enter your password:
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database

I'm a bit lost, and frustrated. Its been 2 days of me building from source and running into brick walls.

Has anyone been able to get this running?  I'd love some pointers.