RE: slapd memory and performance problems

--On Wednesday, April 02, 2003 9:13 AM -0800 Mike Denka <mdenk@whidbey.net> wrote:

I'm thinking now after reading yours and Matthew Backes' explanation of memory utilization, and also since doubling the server RAM this morning to 1GB and discovering that the performance problem still exists, that this is not a memory problem but some other issue for which I yet have no explanation. CPU utilization is very low. Disk writes are numerous to the var partition where the ldap log file and the openldap database are, but reads to that partition are very low. So am I correct in assuming that much data is cached (thus the high memory utilization by the threads)? Then might the problem lie in the network connections? I am currently seeing right around 100 connections, most in TIME_WAIT. Is this something that could be corrected, at least in part, by unix sockets (ldapi:// url)? If so, can you point me to docs describing its use?

Quanah, in another response to this thread suggested the possibility of
RedHat threading issues.  Have you or anyone else run into any problems
with RedHat's threading implementation?

I did with RedHat 7.2, and also with Solaris 9. Which why we deployed on Solaris 8. I have not tried RedHat since that time. I'm waiting for our software group here to get me compiled versions of Heimdal for Linux before I move to testing it again. In a conversation I had with Howard, he did say there can be issues using glibc & gcc less than 3.x. So if you are using an older gcc to compile your binaries, that could be a problem.

We ourselves are not using ldapi for our sendmail connections, so far as I know, and when I do my load tests, I'm simply using ldapsearch against the host from 18+ remote hosts (I've gone as high as 70), with consistent positive performance.

One question is, where do you store your log files? We had an enormous boost in write efficiency, when per a suggestion by Howard, we moved our bdb log files to a different partition than the db directory. It cut the load time for our LDIF files from 3 hours to 1 hour. If you are seeing a lot of writes to your system, that could impact performance (although I doubt it would be this much).

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Senior Systems Administrator