installing woes with 2.1.6

Hello
I have the latest Berkeley DB (4.1) installed on my Linux 7.3 machine. I downloaded the latest openldap-2.1.6 and the install fails with "BerkeleyDB version incompatible" message. I wasn't able to find any clues from other-people's posting on the same issue. Any suggestions for fixing this will be greatly appreciated..
Related question- I have seen on this mailing list that a lot of enterprises are running openldap. What is the preferred backend store for large enterprises?
All suggestions and info appreciated in advance
Thanks
rb