Setting up a Company Directory

Hello everyone.

I have a question on how to correctly setup a company directory. I have been doing some testing, but I seem to be stuck as I am unable to setup the directory the way I would like to.

What I would like to do is setup our company to be in certain departments on the LDAP server.

For instance:

dn: cn=usernumber1, ou=Sales, dc=courtesymortgage,dc=com

dn: cn=usernumber2, ou=IT Department, dc=courtesymortgage,dc=com

Now, I am trying to grasp the concept of schema and object classes and how they all intertwine to allow certain data fields into the directory. This is where I am a tad confused. Let me show you my current LDAP and what is in it:

[root@nitro openldap]# ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=courtesymortgage,dc=com'
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=courtesymortgage,dc=com> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# courtesymortgage.com
dn: dc=courtesymortgage,dc=com
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organization
dc: courtesymortgage.com
o: courtesymortgage

# mastleford@courtesymortgage.com, courtesymortgage.com
dn: mail=mastleford@courtesymortgage.com,dc=courtesymortgage,dc=com
objectClass: inetOrgperson
cn: Mike
sn: Astleford
mail: mastleford@courtesymortgage.com
telephoneNumber:

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 4
# numEntries: 3

Now, this is just data I have entered to test and play with LDAP. Obviously, I am missing something.
First question: The first part of the directory listed above shows the company. Would I need to specify additional objectclasses in that field to implement what I am attempting to do? Or, would I just enter the object classes when I am making a entry?

I hope this makes sense.

I appreciate everyones input.

Jason